StormOS is an effort to port Debian (Wheezy currently) to the Illumos kernel and userland to create a powerful desktop orientated operating system.
Combining Debian and Illumos gives us the following features:
- ZFS (Zetabyte File System) with snapshots, compression and deduplication.
- Fast and reliable packaging system (APT with ZFS and Zones support).
- Boomer, the next generation audio system based on OSS4.
- Stable ABI for kernel modules/drivers.
- Proper multiarch support.
The next release will be StormOS 4.0 (aka Flash) and I hope to have a Pre-Aplha release ready before the end of the year.
Check out the blog for more up to date information on the StormOS.